In this short easy to follow informative step by step guide, we take a look at how to clean a leather sofa at home like a professional.
To start off we would like to give a shout out and say a big thank you to Top Cleaning Secrets for this awesome advice.
Leather sofas add a touch of elegance to your home décor. Cleaning and maintaining these luxurious sofas, however, is a tricky task as you cannot just wipe them down with a wet cloth.
Moreover, harsh cleaners can easily ruin your expensive sofa. Even bleach and ammonia-based cleaners should be avoided. Although leather is a durable material, it is porous in nature.
Thus, you can either make a gentle yet effective cleaner at home or use a leather cleaner recommended and available from Margate Furnishers. It is usually suggested to clean leather furniture every three months, or at least twice a year.
- Vacuum clean the sofa with a soft brush attachment. Make sure it sucks the dirt out of all the crevices otherwise the dust and grime could be rubbed into the sofa when you wipe it with the cleaning solution. Dust particles are abrasive in nature. Hence, they can damage the material when they come in contact with moisture.
- Create a cleaning solution by mixing equal parts of water and white vinegar. Alternatively, you can mix a few drops of commercial leather cleaner in water.
- Dip a soft cloth (preferably a microfiber cloth) in this solution and wring it out so that the cloth is damp, not completely wet.
- Wipe the entire sofa with this cloth while rinsing the cloth in the cleaning solution when necessary. It is best to start cleaning from the top and work your way down.
- Dry the sofa with a clean towel. Do not use a blow dryer for this purpose as it is likely to dehydrate the leather.
- For conditioning, mix one part of white vinegar and two parts of linseed oil or flax seed oil. Using a soft, clean cloth, apply this mixture on the sofa in broad, circular motions. Leave on overnight.
- Next day, buff the sofa with a clean rag to restore its shine.
Apart from the vinegar solution, you can clean your leather sofa with a moisturizing soap (such as Dove) and water (bring it to lather and then wipe). Test the cleaning solution on an inconspicuous spot before using it on the entire sofa.
Some even suggest cleaning leather furniture with saddle soap. On the downside, it is believed that repeated use of saddle soap tends to dissolve leather over a period of time.
Margate Furnishers is more than just your local supplier of high-quality furniture, we are a team of people dedicated to making your vision a reality. No matter what you are looking for, we will have it, make it or order it! So don’t compromise on your dream home, visit our showroom to see ready to go stock or speak to us about our custom wood furniture division.
For more information:
We deliver from Scottburgh to Port Edward (free delivery between Shelly Beach – Ramsgate).
As an added value no charge service, we also offer removal and disposal of old appliances and furniture.
We would love to see you, our loyal customers using the goodies you have purchased from us @MargateFurnishers
Out of guarantee clause and pricing: Please contact Margate Furnishers.